As a data-driven business, are you planning to extract and transform data from multiple data sources and then load it into a data warehouse? Yes, then ETL is what you are thinking about. Short for Extract, Transform, and Load, ETL is a recurring activity for every data warehouse.
Why should any business organization adopt ETL in the first place? Besides providing an easy mode of transferring data from different sources into a data warehouse, ETL tools can perform complex data transformations and is critical to the functioning of any data warehousing project.
However, at the same time, ETL is among the most complex and time-consuming processes in data warehousing. With the increasing volumes and variety of data sources, traditional ETL tools are not designed to provide high speeds of data delivery. Besides that, writing ETL scripts or changing ETL-related processes is complicated and prone to errors.
ETL Automation is being touted as the feasible solution to these ETL-related challenges. In the following sections, we shall discuss what is ETL automation and how to use automated ETL for data from Magento and Google Analytics tools.
What is ETL Automation?
Manual ETL tools requires you to write ETL scripts, which also need to regularly be modified for different data sources. On the other hand, ETL automation eliminates manual coding and provides an automated process to manage the data flows.
By using an automated ETL tool, data integration professionals can design the ETL workflow and monitor it through a user-friendly graphical interface.
Apart from providing a visual representation of the data flow, popular ETL automation tools have integrated connectors with data sources (including Magento integration and Google Analytics). Additionally, they possess advanced capabilities including data profiling and data cleansing.
Before discussing about how to automate data transfer using ETL from Magento and Google Analytics, let’s first look at how to integrate data using the Magento tool.
Integrating Data With Magento
As a popular and open source platform for eCommerce retailers, Magento provides a variety of eCommerce-specific features like flexibility in the shopping cart and the overall design of the eCommerce store.
Through the Magento Web APIs, this platform has in-built support for various third-party services including accounting, ERP, and CRM. Apart from working knowledge of the PHP language, you need to have the following skills to perform data integration from Magento:
- Magento SOAP or REST APIs
- Web API authentication
Here’s how you can perform data integration using the Magento 2.0 tool:
- Design a skeletal module in the Magento installation folder and define the configuration files for your module.
- Next, create the integration files including multiple XML files. You can customize your module by defining the API resources and pre-configuring the integration files.
- Install the Magento module.
- Check your integration by logging in to your Magento account.
- Finally, integrate and activate your application in Magento.
Next, we shall look at a Countants industry case study that explains how to use automated ETL from Magento and Google Analytics.
How to Automate ETL From Magento and Google Analytics – Case Study
Based on a cloud-powered BI reporting platform, the client, Smartchannel were looking for a solution that could extract data from Magento and Google Analytics. Using this data, the company were looking for a customized dashboard created using Google Data Studio.
The company’s requirements are as follows:
- To perform data integration from Magento and Google Analytics.
- To automatically perform ETL from these listed data sources and load the output in Google Cloud Storage and BigQuery.
Additionally, the client had recently migrated from Magento1 to a Magento2 platform resulting in a reduction in user activity and performance.
With the use of Google Data Studio, here’s how Countants designed an ETL Magento data automation solution:
- Performed a deep dive analysis of the migration process.
- Determined the website value by analysing the top viewed pages on the site.
- Using Google Analytics data, we performed a study of the customer engagement on the basis of each page value. Multiple metrics were included to assess the value of each website page.
Next, we shall see how to visualize the Magento analytics and reporting on Google Data Studio. Using automated steps, you can easily perform data visualization on Google Data Studio reporting with the Magento data.
Executing Magento Analytics on Google Data Studio
As a data visualization and reporting tool, Data Studio allows you to generate a variety of informative reports that are customized to individual business needs. Using inbuilt connectors, Data Studio can connect to the Magento database and convert the data into customized dashboards and reports automatically without any manual coding.
Here’s how you can configure the visualization of Magento data in Google Data Studio:
- Sign-in to your Data Studio account and create a new data source. Select the data source type as “MySQL.”
- Next, specify the following configuration settings and properties:
- Host name or IP address
- Port number
- Database name
- Database credentials (username and password)
- After specifying the settings, click “Authenticate.”
- Specify the Magento database table that you wish to visualize on Data Studio. Next, connect to the database table.
- Next, you can choose to modify the table columns (if required). Create the report with the specific data source.
- Next, select the visualization style that you want to use in your dashboard report. Customize the dimensions and other measures for your visualization.
Once you have configured this visualization setting, Data Studio is seamlessly connected to your Magento data. Additionally, it will automatically refresh the Magento data as and when fresh data is available in the data warehouse.
With the advancement of ETL automation, data analysts can power the ETL process from different data sources including Magento and Google Analytics. This article outlines the procedure of performing ETL from Magento and Google Analytics automatically.
With its Cloud ETL Automation services, Countants is the best solution provider for automating your ETL data on any cloud-powered platform. The company’s technical expertise in providing customized client solutions in cloud analytics and cloud visualization makes it the right choice for many global companies. Want to power your Magento and Google Analytics data for better business insights? Don’t hesitate to give us a call.